Senior Back-end Developer
Seeking a Senior Back-end developer with 3+ years of professional experience back-end experience. In this critical role as one of the first few tech hires, you'll be responsible for leading the implementation of our marketplace webapp’s back-end. Opportunity for significant equity compensation in a social venture startup with high-growth potential.
You are a confident back-end engineer proficient in software architecture design, implementation, and best practices. You have the ability to decompose a problem into clear algorithmic scalable solutions, and can articulate the benefits and challenges of depending on different back-end libraries, frameworks, and tool-sets to your team.
You're also passionate about the potential of technology to make the world a better place. You may or may not have a strong personal tie to out-of-school education, but either way you are excited about the opportunity to apply your talents to creating equitable social change.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Ruby, Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Experience writing clear, maintainable and extensible code
- Proficient in Ruby
- 5+ years industry experience in software development
- Masters degree in CS or an engineering discipline
- Development in object-oriented design, big data and large scale distributed systems
- Experience building complex large scale software systems servicing millions of users
- Experience working with AWS, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, GraphQL, Git, and/or Heroku
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, enabling effective messaging with both technical and non-technical audiences
- A high-quality bar: documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment. Enthusiasm for instilling this attitude in others
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and successfully resolve ambiguity